Monday, September 17

FEATURED POST: Change Bringing NEW Opportunity

The Alumni ROW - How to Relocate and Survive Series?
Article 2

Courtesy of Google Maps



To continue with our Alumni Row Relocation series, we asked Shakira McCall to write a reflection peace on her road trip from Georgia to Arizona and transition.  Please read below to check out Shakira's reflection:




Well. Well. Well. Where should I begin? Throughout my life, I’ve relocated a couple of times. My senior year in high school I moved to Baltimore, Maryland (Murda-Land haha) from Georgia to live with my Dad. Although I had family there, I was extremely lonely; mainly because my Dad was a workaholic and was never home. I dreaded that place and was miserable. But now that I’m older I can look back at it and say that moving to Baltimore was one of the best things ever. When I was living in Georgia I intended to go to college, but did not actively seek opportunities on how to get into college. As soon as I stepped foot into my new school in Baltimore, my guidance counselor made it her duty to make sure I was enrolled into college. I was able to submit my application to University of Maryland on the deadline date and a few months later I found out that I was accepted! Can we say THANK YOU LAWDY!!!!

The great thing about road trips is you get to see
the World's beauty while behind a car


Now, I’m currently in graduate school on the other side of the country at Arizona State University.  (Below you’ll find pics of my road trip from Georgia to Arizona) As expected all those unwanted feelings I experienced when I first moved to Baltimore came back, the loneliness, being broke, and not knowing the area. But quickly I realized that all of this is natural and that God has something in store for me. Arizona is a place for me to find out what I want to do in my life, career and the ability to accept my blessing from God. 

The thing that helped me a lot is having a strong support system. As humans we need each other to survive. So if you find yourself alone in a new place be bold and find people that share common interest with you. I like to work out a lot, so I joined the tough mudder team at ASU and I am enjoying every bit of it. 

So my advice that I would give to people who are relocating and who has relocated is to stay strong and to remember the ultimate purpose for you being there. Don’t be so focused on the bad that you miss out on an opportunity to re-invent and embark new opportunities that are presented before you.

A side shot of the road while in Texas.

Me + Lil Sis before we hit the road!

Written by:  Shakira McCall

No comments:

Post a Comment