Thursday, August 9

Tips + Tricks of Traveling on a Budget

Similar to another Alumni ROW blogger, Whitney, I was also on the west coast this summer. Although she will be living there permanently, I was there for an internship at a tech company in Silicon Valley. I was in California for a total of 11 weeks and tried to make the most of my time. I lived in San Jose but traveled to Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Yosemite, Los Angeles and San Diego. Unlike states on the east coast, I began to realize how large California really is. I roadtripped with other interns, drove 9 hours and we were still in the same state. Amazing!



While travelling, I began to pick up tips/tricks of travelling on a budget which I would like to share with you all:

  1. Use corporate discounts: Thanks to my company, we had amazing corporate discounts on rental cars and hotels. According to employees at  Hertz, we had a better discount than Hertz employees! Definitely take advantage of this, if possible.
  2. Switch drivers often, but not too often: Since we often drove a van, we would switch cars every gas fill-up. If we were in a car, we would switch once or twice between fill-ups. Great plan if you don't want to stop every hour just to change drivers.
  3. Get AAA: In Beverly Hills, I experienced my first flat tire on a rental car and had no clue what to do. But thankfully AAA was able to get to my location and change the tire within 30 minutes. You don't need AAA but have some form of reliable roadside assistance service.
  4. Room college style: Basically those under the age of 30 are NOT ballin. Therefore, we can benefit from sleeping 4 to a room. Even if you do have the money, it's much more fun and always gives some interesting stories for later (as long as people don't snore too loud).
  5. Pack for multiple climates: I learned this the hard way. California has multiple climates AND the beaches are cold (something I've never experienced before). You can go from 75 degrees in one city, to driving 20 minutes north and it being 65 degrees, to driving 4 hours south and it being 85 degrees! Therefore, pack a jean jacket or some sort of hoodie. Ladies on the beach, wear maxi dresses. They act as swim-suit cover ups and a pretty warm blanket near the cool ocean breezes.
  6. Bring plastic bags: Odds are, you'll take a shower in the hotel the morning before you hit the road .To prevent your shower shoes (oh and bring shower shoes) from getting the rest of your clothes wet, wrap them in a plastic bag before placing in a suitcase. If you forgot your bag, use the small bags that sit in the ice bucket.
Hope this helped some. Below, share any tips I may have missed.

Happy travelling!

2 comments: