Thursday, January 17

Alternative Exercising? What about 'em?

So I'm the worst person to talk about exercising because I simply do NOT do enough of it!  However when I do participate in the art of exercising it is in a non-traditional way.

Whit Ford (me) before I met dimple rock!
Don't let the gear fool you I WAS NOT READY!!!

Here is a picture of me, getting ready to go white water rafting in the middle of September in Ohiopyle, PA!  Only my friends know the events after that proceeded!  LOL!!!  So if you glanced at the title, you might have guessed, this post highlights some non-traditional ways to exercise while having fun doing so!!!   Some I have personally participated in, while others NOT so much!


Adventurous Activities
A good way to get exercise while having fun is to participate in adventurous activities and why not bring your friends along the way.  It makes memories.  TRUST ME!  Some activities include taking your friends to the mountains to go snowboarding or skiing, or visiting the rapids for day of white water rafting or canoeing, or going hiking attached to a camping trip.  Although these things do not have a traditional exercise program like 100 crunches in 10 minutes, 20 minutes running full speed on the tread mill, you can still stimulate your muscles and burn calories, while building memories.

Here is a picture of South Lake Tahoe, CA.
In the Winter its used for Skiing or Snowboarding
while Summer its used for Water Activities.
source

Dancing


Couple doing the Lindy Hop
source
Have you ever watched Dancing With the Stars?  Have you seen the transformations that those stars make after going on the show?  Well its real.  Every once in blue moon I get invited to some form of dancing event with my friends.  I have been to both latin and swing dancing and YES both have kicked my out of shape BUTT!  However, they were both very fun and I'm waiting for the next time to try it again!!!  If you haven't tried salsa, swing, or some other variation of dance, please give it try.  You might like it!!!

Skating



Okay, a little kid'ish I know, BUT its fun and you can get lots of exercise.  So pick up some lil kid and take them to the rink.  Not to mention, they do have adult courses there too!  Do you still roller skate?

Walking
University of Maryland, College Park
source
Now some might say walking is a traditional way to exercise, but I am looking at it from a different angle (maybe an obtuse one O_o).  I'm talking about walking to get from Point A to Point B.  Not because this is in your work out plan, but because you need to go to your next location.  I believe one of the reasons I was able to maintain a reasonable weight was because I walked my college campus for 4+ years (O_o)!!!  So instead of driving to a location you can walk to, consider walking, and if you want to add a twist to it - bring a friend!

Recreational Sports
You can never go wrong with this!  A good way to stay in shape, without worrying about a workout plan is to join a recreational sports team.  Common ones that people join are soccer, football, rugby, volley ball, and basketball.  Its a way to have fun, enjoy your friends/team, and meet new people.  I personally need to get back into basketball.  Soccer just did not work out.

Obstacle Courses
Last but certainly NOT LEAST.....drum roll please..... OBSTACLE COURSES!  These bad boys are getting extremely popular and the next one that comes to Sac or the Bay Area I'm joining!!!!  It's that serious.  But anyway, obstacle courses like warrior dash, the Spartan Race, etc. etc offer an opportunity to participate in extreme races mud slinging, rock climbing, down right physical races, while having fun with friends.  For ideas on obstacle courses go here!  Oh yeah I don't advise just going, you might want to prepare so you don't pass out!!!


 Other Ideas that should be mentioned (courtesy of Robbi)  =) :
  • Extreme trampoline such as those found at Sky Zone Sports
  • Living Social Adventure Deals such as trapeze, paintball, laser tag or horseback riding
  • Technology apps and games such as Nike+, Wii Fit, Dance Central, Hip Hop Dance experience, etc.  (these will be discussed in more detail)

What kind of alternative exercise do you participate in?

No comments:

Post a Comment